The Dangers of Ingesting Cocoa Powder

Save

Cocoa powder is often used in baking, chocolate making and preparing speciality coffee drinks. While cocoa powder is perfectly safe for most people to ingest, in some cases it can cause discomfort or even death.

Improper Storage

  • It is important to check the expiration date on the package of cocoa powder. Ingesting cocoa powder that has expired or has been improperly stored (such as being allowed to get damp or moldy) is not recommended.

Allergens

  • Those who are allergic to chocolate should avoid ingesting cocoa powder.

Dogs

  • Dogs must never ingest cocoa powder or chocolate in any form. The caffeine and other components can be toxic in high enough doses.

Other Animals

  • Cats, parrots and other household pets should also never be allowed to eat chocolate under any circumstances.

Stomach Aches

  • Either due to the alkaline nature of the product or because of the high caffeine levels, ingesting cocoa powder can cause stomach pain in some people.

References

  • Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images
Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

13 Delicious Thanksgiving Sides That'll Make Turkey Insignificant

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!