Diatomaceous earth (DE) is a fine powder made from crushed fossils. It is often used to control pests on pets. It can even be added to your pet's food to help control internal parasites.
Because each particle in the DE is actually like a shard of broken glass, it works on pests by cutting their waxy outer shell. According to Dog Health, this causes rapid dehydration and death of parasites both on, and in, your pet.
Food-Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Always be sure to use food-grade DE, as there are no chemicals added to the powdered fossils. This makes it completely safe for both you and your pets.
Dusting the Dog
If your dog has fleas or mites, dust his sleeping area with DE. After you have given him a flea bath, lightly dust his fur after it is dry and gently massage him with the tips of your fingers.
DE is an extremely effective anti-parasitic and can eliminate internal parasites such as worms. According to Wolf Creek Ranch, clinical observation indicated that after feeding dogs DE daily, there was no evidence of parasitic activity in stools after seven days.
Because its effectiveness comes from its ability to dehydrate, be very careful not to get DE in your pet's eyes. Always wear a mask when using DE to avoid irritation of your nose and throat.
- Photo Credit Image by Flickr.com, courtesy of D. Sharon Pruitt
The Effects of Eating Diatomaceous Earth
Diatomaceous earth, or DE, is used as a natural pesticide, a growing medium and an animal wormer. It is also used to...
How to Kill Fleas With Diatomaceous Earth
Fleas are wingless insects that live off the blood of mammals and birds. There are many ways to kill fleas but if...
How to Take Diatomaceous Earth for Parasites
Diatomaceous earth is made up of microscopic remains of tiny, fossilized plants called diatoms that are mined and then ground into a...