Earth's atmosphere is what allows life to exist on this planet. Carbon dioxide gets a lot of media coverage because of its role in global warming, but in fact most of Earth's atmosphere is made up of the element nitrogen.
Major Components of the Atmosphere
The atmosphere is 78.08 percent nitrogen. Another 20.95 percent is oxygen. Together, nitrogen and oxygen make up 99.03 percent of the atmosphere. The other 0.97 percent is composed of several other chemicals whose volumes are measured in parts per million.
Minor Components of the Atmosphere
The atmosphere is 0.934 percent argon, 0.038 percent carbon dioxide and 0.0018 percent neon. Helium, methane, krypton and hydrogen all exist in the atmosphere in trace amounts
Nitrogen gas does not have any color or smell. In the atmosphere, it usually does not react. In fact, nitrogen is so inert that it was called "azote," which means "without life." In liquid form, nitrogen is odorless and colorless.
Nitrogen on Mars
In contrast to Earth, nitrogen makes up less than 3 percent of the atmosphere of Mars.
Explaining Nitrogen's Abundance
Overall, there is 10,000 times as much oxygen on Earth as there is nitrogen, but oxygen easily combines with other elements to become part of water and organic materials. Nitrogen does not easily combine with the materials that make up Earth and organic life, so a much larger percentage of all the nitrogen on Earth is in the atmosphere.
- Photo Credit v_zaitsev/iStock/Getty Images
What Is the Composition of Air by Mass?
The earth's atmosphere is composed mostly of oxygen and nitrogen. By volume, some trace elements like argon, neon and carbon dioxide are...
Density of Air Vs. Nitrogen
While air is a gas mixture predominantly composed of nitrogen, there are differences between the density of nitrogen gas and the density...
How to Calculate Molar Mass of Air
The molar mass of any solid, liquid, or gaseous substance is the number of grams of the substance in its molecular (molar)...
How to Separate Nitrogen & Oxygen
Oxygen and nitrogen are the two most plentiful gases in the earth's air. It's possible to remove nitrogen and oxygen from the...
What Gases Make Up the Air We Breathe?
The Earth’s atmosphere is a layer of gas held in place by gravity, which prevents it from escaping into space. It protects...
What Are the Nitrogen Purity Specifications & Grades?
Nitrogen is an odorless, colorless gas symbolized by the letter N on the periodic table. Nitrogen has a wide range of uses,...
What Are the Contents of a Scuba Tank?
Scuba diving involves breathing compressed gases and withstanding high pressures that increase with depth. These are two things the human body was...