Vitamin D toxicity is a serious, albeit rare, condition where calcium builds up in the blood. This condition is called hypercalcemia and symptoms range from acute to chronic; fortunately, vitamin D toxicity is treatable.
Vitamin D is naturally produced by the body due to exposure to the sun. However, some people supplement their diets with vitamin D tablets or capsules which, if taken in excess, can be toxic.
According to the Mayo Clinic, treatment for vitamin D toxicity may include stopping the supplements, restricting the intake of calcium, hydrating the body with fluids and in extreme cases, hospitalization. Medications like steroids or diuretics may also be necessary to overcome vitamin D toxicity.
Vitamin D toxicity is generally the result of taking an excess of the supplement and usually occurs in people who have pre-existing health conditions like liver or kidney problems. Although certain foods do contain vitamin D, the percentage is low as is the amount of vitamin D produced in the body due to sun exposure.
The symptoms of vitamin D toxicity are nausea, vomiting and constipation. Reduced appetite may also be a symptom. More serious symptoms may include confusion, kidney stones or heart issues like rhythm abnormalities.
According to the Mayo Clinic, it is recommended that people under the age of fifty receive 200 IU of vitamin D per day. Persons over fifty should receive 400 to 600 IU per day.