Signs and Symptoms of Eating Mold on Bread

Save

Mold on bread can contain allergic reaction-causing spores as well as mycotoxins, dangerous compounds which can cause upset stomach or even death. Moldy bread should be carefully discarded and never eaten.

Bread's moist surface is a common place for mold growth.
(Jupiterimages/Goodshoot/Getty Images)

Mold growing on food or on the walls of damp houses may contain mycotoxins. Exposure to mycotoxins can cause breathing problems and fever; long-term exposure may cause chronic problems such as cancer, lupus and mental retardation.

Mold growing on food or on the walls of damp houses may contain mycotoxins.
Jupiterimages/BananaStock/Getty Images

More mild effects of eating moldy bread include upset stomach, nosebleeds, headache, diarrhea and flu-like symptoms.

More mild effects include an upset stomach.
Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images

Mold also can cause respiratory problems or allergic reactions if the spores are inhaled.

Mold also can cause respiratory problems.
BananaStock/BananaStock/Getty Images

Mold on bread and other foods can survive in cold temperatures. It will grow roots deep into the bread, so cutting off visible mold or removing a few moldy pieces from a loaf will not protect you from toxins.

Mold on bread and other foods can survive in cold temperatures.
Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images

Dispose of moldy bread carefully, outside the house if possible. Wear gloves and a face mask to avoid handling or inhaling spores, disinfect areas where the mold grew and throw out any food that may have been cross-contaminated.

References

Promoted By Zergnet

Related Searches

Check It Out

This Is the Beauty Routine of a Yelp Sales Manager

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!