Lusting after blonde hair inspires many people to bleach their medium to dark brown hair, but according to hairboutique.com, this can cause damage to your hair.
Bleaching typically makes hair feel dry and rough to the touch. If the cuticle is seriously damaged, hair may become porous, feeling like the conditioner is still in, even after rinsing.
If you must bleach your hair, go to a professional stylist. Professionals have equipment to minimize hair damage, and can tell whether your hair is strong enough for processing.
Bleaching hair at home requires advanced planning, according to Hair-Dressing.com. Use a respected brand, call the toll-free consumer help number on the package, and do a patch test to determine allergies.
According to Hair-Dressing.com, combing wet hair, repeated bleaching, and treatments such as perms can increase the likelihood of hair damage.
According to ScienceCentric.com, the hydrogen peroxide in the hair-bleaching process breaks down the melanin in hair, causing it to be brittle, dull and difficult to manage. One eco-friendly solution being studied as a less-damaging alternative to bleaching is “a ‘white-rot’ fungus, which can naturally break down melanin with just a small amount of hydrogen peroxide, explains Kenzo Koike, Ph.D.