Ammonia is a chemical compound that is primarily used as a strong cleaning agent in many cleaning products. At standard temperature and air pressure, ammonia gives off a gas than can be toxic. Excessive ammonia inhalation can be harmful to your health.
Burning of the eyes, nose and throat can signify excessive ammonia inhalation. Another symptom may be a dry cough. This is usually your first visible sign to get away.
If ammonia gets on your skin, wash immediately with soap and water. It takes only a few seconds for ammonia to start to burn the skin or eyes.
Vomiting, diarrhea, and headache may occur. This is your body's way of rejecting the foreign substance and trying to get it out of its system.
Too much exposure to ammonia may cause serious upper respiratory problems. Chronic bronchitis has been associated with long term ammonia inhalation.
If you feel as if you have been exposed to excessive ammonia inhalation, contact your doctor or poison control. They will be able to help assist you in an emergency.