Male and female German shepherds have some differences in appearance, though they're not that distinct; in young puppies, the differences are not really evident except at the genitals. German shepherd males and females also have some temperament differences, but you can't bank on them -- all dogs have their own distinct personalities.
Male vs. Female Appearance
According to the German Shepherd Dog Club of America:
- Males are more masculine in structure -- they have larger heads and broader, thicker bodies.They weigh between 65 and 90 pounds and stand 24 to 26 inches at the high point of the shoulders.
- Females are more feminine in structure, with more delicate features. They have smaller heads and slighter bodies. They weigh between 50 and 70 pounds and stand 22 to 24 inches at the high point of the shoulders.
Male vs. Female Temperament
Veterinarian and breeder Sherle R. Thompson of Sequoyah Animal Hospital in Soddy Daisy, Tennessee, and breeders Izzet and Amy Günbil of Denver, Colorado, consider these to be general temperament differences:
- Males tend to be more protective of their territory -- their home and property.
- Females tend to be more protective of their packs -- their human families.
- Males are generally more tolerant of other non-dominant pets.
- Females are generally less tolerant of other pets due to jealousy.
- Males tend to be more independent, thus more likely to take off.
- Females are less independent and more prone to stick by their owners.
Dr. Thompson says that both sexes love attention, but females are more touchy-feely in general.
- Photo Credit cynoclub/iStock/Getty Images
German Shepherd Bladder Infection
The German shepherd is a magnificent dog, loved by service organizations and families alike. His breed is prone to some health issues,...
How to Raise a Female Shepherd & Rottie Mix
Raising a puppy involves more than basic food and water care. The dog must see a veterinarian on a regular basis and...
Temperament Differences of Male & Female Dogs
Like humans and many other types of animals, male and female dogs often display different temperaments. These temperament differences are especially notable...
Differences Between German & American German Shepherd Dogs
The German Shepherd, widely known for it's courage, loyalty and ability to be trained, is one of the most well-known breeds recognized...