Are Wild Mushrooms Poisonous to Dogs?


Some wild mushrooms are poisonous to dogs. Dogs are not too picky about what they eat. Sometimes, a dog will ingest a poisonous mushroom. There are at least several reported cases each year, with occasional fatalities.

Mushrooms may be poisonous.
Mushrooms may be poisonous. (Image: Images)

Normal Diet

In general, dogs are not attracted to wild mushrooms as food. It is atypical for a dog to eat one (poisonous or not).

Dog outdoors.
Dog outdoors. (Image: Ryan McVay/Photodisc/Getty Images)

Non-Poisonous Majority

Since the majority of mushrooms aren't poisonous, even if a dog does eat a mushroom for some reason, chances are good that it will cause no harm.

Many mushrooms are safe.
Many mushrooms are safe. (Image: Blue Jean Images/Photodisc/Getty Images)

Poisonous Mushrooms

If a dog does eat a poisonous mushroom, it will most likely throw it up or become ill for a short time, followed by complete recovery.

Poisonous mushroom.
Poisonous mushroom. (Image: Images)

Inadvertent Ingestion

Dogs frequently eat grass, and it is possible that a poisonous mushroom can be ingested accidentally while grazing.

Dog eating grass.
Dog eating grass. (Image: JuFagundes/iStock/Getty Images)

Dog Poisoning

Symptoms of mushroom poisoning in dogs are similar to those in humans. Depending on the species consumed, symptoms can include lethargy, excessive salivation, erratic behavior, expression of pain (yelping, whining), vomiting, diarrhea, coma and death. In most cases, immediate veterinary treatment can prevent death unless a deadly poisonous amanita or galerina is the culprit. Some lepiotas can also cause serious problems if eaten in sufficient quantity.

Sick dogs.
Sick dogs. (Image: Dean Golja/Photodisc/Getty Images)

Related Searches

Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

How to Make an Elevated Dog Feeder

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!