Roundup is a trademarked herbicide designed to kill weeds, invasive grasses and some tough shrubs. Manufactured by Monsanto Co., Roundup's active ingredient is glyphosate, an herbicide that kills most plants and is toxic to people and animals. Pets may ingest Roundup by eating treated foliage or licking their paws or grooming after walking across or rolling on a treated lawn before the chemical has dried.
Roundup is sold in ready-to-use and concentrated formulations that must be mixed with water before sprayed onto plants. According to the manufacturer, pets may enter an area where Roundup was sprayed after the product has dried. The manufacturer does not specify how long it takes the product to dry but says Roundup is rainproof 30 minutes after being sprayed and that some Roundup products are rainproof after 10 minutes.
Glyphosate Poisoning Symptoms
Symptoms of glyphosate exposure in pets include drooling, vomiting and diarrhea. Animals may also seem lethargic or overly excited and may lose weight and/or become weak. Symptoms may appear from 30 minutes to two hours after exposure.
If your pet exhibits symptoms of poisoning, contact your veterinarian immediately,
The American Association of Poison Control Centers offers free, confidential medical advice through the Poison Help line number, 1-800-222-1222, which it operates 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
To keep your pets safe, remove them and all their toys, bones, beds, food and food containers from the area where you want to spray Roundup. Keep pets away from the area for at least 30 minutes after spraying Roundup. Also keep pets, their belongings and food away from where you store and prepare Roundup.
Do not spray on windy days, and take care to spray only directly on the plants you wish to kill. Follow the manufacturer’s directions on the label carefully when mixing and applying Roundup or any other chemical. Do not let Roundup drift into water where you have pet fish or into natural bodies of water and waterways. Wear gloves when handling and using Roundup, and wash your hands thoroughly before touching your skin, food or other items. Store Roundup and other chemicals where pets cannot access them.
An alternative to using Roundup is to control weeds by pulling them out of the ground. Another option is to plant grasses that compete successfully with undesired plants.