How Much Is a 1964 Silver Half Dollar Worth?

Save

The Kennedy half dollar was introduced in 1964 after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. It replaced the Benjamin Franklin half dollar. 1964 is the only year the Kennedy half dollar was minted in 90 percent silver.

Mintage

  • 1964 Kennedy half dollars were minted at both Philadelphia and Denver mints. There were 273 million half dollars minted in Philadelphia and 156 million minted in Denver.

Silver Content

  • The 1964 Kennedy half dollar is 90 percent silver; the other 10 percent is copper. There are 11.25 grams of silver in a 1964 Kennedy half dollar, which is equal to .3617 troy ounces.

Circulated Value

  • In 2009, Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) valued circulated Kennedy half dollars between $6 and $8 apiece.

Uncirculated Value

  • In 2009, PCGS valued uncirculated Kennedy half dollars at $12 or more, based on mint state condition.

Proofs

  • The 1964 proof set contains a 1964 proof Kennedy half dollar, along with a proof penny, nickel, dime and quarter. In 2009, PCGS valued this proof set at $16.

References

  • Photo Credit United States Mint
Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

Resources

You May Also Like

Related Searches

Read Article

How to Build and Grow a Salad Garden On Your Balcony

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!