Flowers Poisonous To Dogs

Save
Flowers Poisonous To Dogs
Flowers Poisonous To Dogs (Image: www.sxc.hu)

You do all that you can to keep your dog safe and healthy--a quality diet, a microchip, plenty of exercise and yearly check-ups. But did you know that some of the greatest dangers to your dog could be living in your own back yard? Although beautiful, some flowers are pure poison to your best friend.

Amaryllis

Amaryllis, also known as belladonna, contains lycorine, which is extremely toxic to dogs. According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), signs of lycorine poisoning include diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, depression, anorexia, hyper-salivation and tremors.

Hyacinth

The stunningly colorful hyacinth, according to Cyber Canine, poses a nasty threat to your dog. Although usually not fatal, ingesting the flowers, bulbs or leaves of the hyacinth can result in diarrhea, vomiting and colic.

Azalea

The azalea plant, also called rhododendron, is extremely toxic and potentially fatal to your dog. According to the ASCPA, symptoms include digestive upset, drooling, loss of appetite, weakness, paralysis, loss of coordination, stupor, depression and weak heart rate. If you dog ingests azalea, immediate veterinary attention is mandatory.

Nightshade

This purple and gold bloom is potentially fatal to your dog. According to Cyber Dog, symptoms include intestinal, cardiac and respiratory distress, trembling or paralysis, nasal discharge, dilated pupils, drowsiness, loss of coordination, bloat and hallucinations. Immediate veterinary care is mandatory if ingested.

Lantana

The sweet-smelling, colorful, multi-clustered lantana plant, according to Cyber Dog, is capable of causing bloody diarrhea, weakness, sluggishness and, if not treated, death. If your dog ingests lantana, also known as shrub verbena, take him to a veterinarian immediately.

Gloriosa Lily

The red and yellow gloriosa lily, also called glory lily or climbing lily, is very dangerous and potentially fatal to your dog. According to the ASPCA, symptoms of poisoning include bloody vomiting or diarrhea, salivation, shock, liver damage, kidney failure and bone marrow suppression.

Related Searches

References

Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

How to Make an Elevated Dog Feeder

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!