Mold, yeast and other fungi are often beneficial organisms, but when the wrong type of mold grows in the wrong place, the results can be terrible for the host organism. Toxic molds excrete mycotoxin, a substance that can cause sinus infections, asthma or can even compromise the immune system. Symptoms are often similar to allergies or bacterial infections.
Common respiratory indicators of ingested mycotoxin are coughing, sneezing, sore throat, allergic reactions, sinus congestion and symptoms associated with rhinitis (also known as colds).
Aches and Pains
Ingested mycotoxin can cause deep aching pains in arms and legs, abdominal pain or cramps and, in extreme cases, fibromyalgia, a neurological condition that manifests itself as widespread pain, fatigue and hypersensitivity to touch.
Mycotoxins may trigger neurological symptoms such as numbness in the hands, feet and other extremities, and infections may prompt anxiety, tremors and mood swings.
Shortness of breath and wheezing may develop into asthma.
Ingestion of mycotoxins may become evident in itching or burning fungal infections in nose, throat and lungs. Dermal (skin) contact creates rashes, and fungal infections on skin and be carried into the eyes by contact with hands.
Mold infections can compromise the immune system, causing open skin sores and increased susceptibility to bacterial infections.
Hair and memory loss are occasional symptoms.