Now that it’s heating up, it’s time to break out those denim shorts. Just like their long-legged sibling, denim shorts pair well with practically everything in your closet. This season, why not add some edginess to this summer essential? This DIY shows you how to add eye-catching stripes with just a few supplies. You can even re-purpose an old, worn in pair of jeans to make this project!
– Denim shorts *
– White fabric paint
– Masking tape
– Foam brush
* To turn a pair of jeans into denim shorts: Try on the jeans and use chalk to mark where you want to cut off the legs. Using fabric scissors, cut off one side. Fold in half and use the first cut off side as a guide for other. Throw in the wash for one cycle to naturally fray the edges.
1. On one leg, horizontally add strips of masking tape.
2. On the opposite leg, vertically add strips of masking tape.
3. Using a foam brush, apply fabric paint onto the pant leg, directly over the tape. I’d recommend painting in the same direction as the tape, to limit the amount of paint that sneaks underneath. For example, I applied the paint using horizontal brush strokes in the above photo.
4. Repeat on the opposite leg.
5. Once the paint is completely dry, peel away the tape to reveal your stripes.
6. Optional: Dip the edge of the foam brush into paint and freehand thin lines in between the thick stripes.
7. Repeat in between the remaining stripes.
The opposite stripes create an interesting, unique visual. Try playing around with different colors and stripe widths. Neons and pastels would look amazing for the season!
Photo credits: Kirsten Nunez