Everyone’s soaking up the end of summer by relaxing and remembering how important it is to spend time with family and friends. This summer, our family made a commitment to spend each Sunday night together at our local beach to enjoy the weather and share a great meal together.
This past weekend we decided to do something out of the ordinary and planned a lobster dinner. Sadly, the weather did not cooperate, but we ended up having a great time anyway and made the best of it.
Lobsters can be quite expensive so I added hearty side dishes to the meal to avoid trying to fill everyone on lobsters alone. If you’re planning a meal outdoors remember that preparation is key, especially if the weather is unpredictable!
How to prepare a memorable lobster feast:
- Pick up lobsters from the fish monger and have him split them for you so they’re ready to grill.
- Crab cakes are filling and delicious with a seafood meal. They also travel well, so prepare some in the morning and pack them in plastic containers to bring along. Heat them up in foil on the grill when you’re ready to eat.
- Veggies are a must with any meal! For easy transportation, cut up a selection of your favorite vegetables like zucchini, onion and bell peppers and thread them onto skewers so they’re grill ready.
- Clean corn on the cob and wrap in silver foil with crumbled feta cheese.
- Mix up some butter with garlic, chives and basil for the lobster and put in mason jars for easy transportation.
- Make a spicy mayo mix for dipping lobster or crab cakes. Just add your favorite chili paste, some lime and a sprinkle of cilantro to the mayo and you’re ready to go.
- Pack lots of napkins and tin plates. Don’t forget one huge platter for corn, sausages and lobsters.
- Brownies are my go-to dessert for any picnic style meal, and they make for a classic end to this decadent meal.
Bring everything with you to the beach or your local park and set a picnic table with a pretty tablecloth, napkins and great plastic glasses — it’s the details that make the party. We drew quite a crowd when we grilled the lobsters on the beach, so be prepared for envious passersby!
Enjoy the meal while the sun sets and savor the delicious seafood of summer. It will be a night to remember no matter the forecast!
Photo credits: Elizabeth Lamont