Every morning since I was a young girl, my mother served my sister and I a hearty and healthy breakfast. We never had packaged, processed foods in our home and we weren’t allowed to eat the boxed sugary cereals that all the other kids were eating.
It wasn’t until I got to high school and then college and beyond that I realized how important it is to eat a healthy and wholesome breakfast without processed ingredients and sugary chemicals. Now, when I wake up in the morning I reach into my fridge for a bowl of quinoa and toss a few scoops into a bowl with coconut milk yogurt or almond milk along with healthy toppings like almonds, cashews, walnuts and fresh fruit or dried fruit. I often cook up a batch of quinoa on Sunday nights so that I can enjoy this cereal cold in the summertime but in the winter I make the quinoa each morning and serve it warm with a cup of hot herbal tea.
This recipe is perfect for any age. Kids and adults love it, and it’s prepared sans gluten, eggs, dairy and soy so you can feel good about serving it. The thing I love most about this recipe is that it can be mixed and matched to any flavor combination you’re in the mood for. Looking for something sweet? Try cinnamon and dried cherries. At my home, we love the combination of fresh fruit and dried fruit. Fresh fruit adds a sweet touch throughout the cereal, making every bite delicious without adding sugar. If you’re in the mood for a savory breakfast, why not add in a touch of chili powder and chives? The options are endless and it makes room for creativity first thing in the morning. You can also serve this dish as a dessert after dinner with a scoop of coconut milk ice cream for a sweet, protein-packed treat to end your day! Whatever you have in your pantry can easily be tossed in and enjoyed.
Sweet Red Quinoa Porridge
- 1/2 cup red quinoa
- 1 3/4 cup almond milk, divided
- 1/2 cup purified water
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 large organic apple, cored and diced
- 2 tablespoon Barlean’s organic ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoon dried cherries
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- In a saucepan, bring quinoa, 3/4 cup almond milk, water, almond extract, sea salt, cinnamon and cardamom to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed, approximately 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat; set aside for 2 minutes to cool then fluff with a fork.
- Transfer porridge to two serving bowls. Pour 1/2 cup of almond milk over each bowl. Top with diced apples, ground flax seeds, dried cherries and lemon zest.
Photo Credits: Amie Valpone