Of all the special release beers that craft beer lovers wait for, debate, lust after, argue about and seek out, pumpkin beers are at the top of the list. Pumpkin beers are a rite of passage for every new craft beer fan. Grab a few and have a blind tasting. You may prefer a big huge pumpkin pie mouthful, or you might gravitate toward a more subtle and spiced version. Here are some top pumpkin beers to seek out this fall:
- Southern Tier Brewing: Pumpking
- Rogue Ales: Pumpkin Patch Ale
- Almanac Brewery: Heirloom Pumpkin
- Schlafly Brewing: Pumpkin Ale
- Cigar City Brewing: Good Gourd
- Dogfish Head Brewery: Punkin Ale
- Avery Brewing: Rumpkin
Have a favorite beer that didn’t make the list? Tweet it to me @thebeeroness with the hashtag #GreatPumpkinAle, or leave it in the comments section.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Beer Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 12 ounces pumpkin ale
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a large 1.5-quart loaf pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger and brown sugar.
- Make a well in the center. Add the pumpkin puree and the beer. Stir until just combined, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until top is a light golden brown.
*Note: you can also use 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice in place of the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ginger.
Photo credit: Jackie Dodd