You’re probably familiar with oatmeal and boxed cereal, but this is a new spin on the classic American breakfast that you’re going to love! This recipe is gluten-free and soy-free, and packed with quality protein and whole grains! Have you ever tried millet? It’s a creamy gluten-free grain that works in many recipes from stir-fry to soups. Today I’m bringing you a sweet and tasty Coconut Cinnamon Millet Cereal that is easy to prepare and will keep you full until lunchtime rolls around. Millet is great with sea salt and pepper for a salad or side dish, but for a hearty breakfast, I like to serve it with delicious coconut flakes and ground cinnamon. It’s the perfect bowl of natural sweetness to get your engine running so you have the energy to get through your afternoon and beyond!
Here, the cooked millet mixes with creamy ghee and creates a bed at the bottom of the bowl. Fresh strawberries, coconut flakes, cacao nibs, cinnamon and almond butter are strewn over the top. This recipe takes only a few minutes to prepare and can be made ahead the night before and kept in the fridge for a speedy breakfast on your way to work! I often put it in a mason jar and eat it on the go when I’m traveling or enjoy it at home with a cup of herbal tea. Either way, you’ll enjoy it and it’s a great way to start your day on the right foot. It’s packed with fiber and antioxidants, and will surely keep you full all morning and into the afternoon.
Dig in. I hope you love it!
Coconut Cinnamon Millet Cereal
- 6 cups purified water
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup uncooked millet
- 1/2 cup organic milk
- 1 teaspoon organic melted ghee (I used Organic India ghee)
- 5 large fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3 teaspoon cacao nibs
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- In a large pot, bring the water and sea salt to a boil. Add the millet and return to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat; add the melted ghee and mix well to combine. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Top with organic milk, fresh strawberries, cinnamon, coconut flakes, cacao nibs and almond butter. Serve warm.
Photo Credit: Amie Valpone