Sometimes, chicken wings are just the right answer. I always keep some on hand because they make perfect finger food when we have guests over. They’re also a quick and satisfying dinner served along with salad and rice. Recently, I’ve become a huge fan of pairing chicken wings with my favorite hot sauce, Sriracha.
This sauce really lends itself to spicy chicken wings because it has so much flavor complexity compared with other hot sauces. It’s acidic and slightly sweet with a punch of garlic. For this recipe I’ve amped up all of those wonderful Sriracha flavors by combining the sauce with lemon juice, garlic, honey and a bit of cayenne since some of the heat is lost in the cooking process. These wings are super quick and easy to make and will be a hit with any Sriracha lover.
Garlic Sriracha Wings
Total Time: 60 minutes
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 to 4 pounds chicken wings
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, still in their skins
- 3/4 cup Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Juice of 1 lemon (approximately 1/4 cup)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the chicken wings in a large bowl along with 1/4 cup olive oil. Toss to coat evenly and then spread the wings in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 50 minutes.
- While the wings are cooking, place the garlic cloves in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes, then drain and allow them to cool.
- Squeeze the cloves out of their skins into a food processor. Add the Sriracha, honey, lemon juice, cayenne, salt, pepper and remaining 3/4 cup olive oil. Puree until smooth.
- When the wings finish cooking, remove them from the oven and turn on the broiler (low broil if possible). Use a pastry brush to generously baste the wings with the sauce and then drizzle any remaining sauce over the top. Broil for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the sauce is slightly caramelized.
Photo credit: Jennifer Farley