Grab the recipe for this moist, apple-dotted coffee cake with apple pie spiced crumble.
I’m not much of a dessert eater. I tend to save it for special occasions, and by special occasions, I am definitely talking about the dessert itself, not some fete to be celebrated. Desserts in my mind should be indulgent and worth every bite that passes my lips. They should linger on my tongue and make me instantly crave more, even days later.
During the summer months, I crave ice cream — often specific varieties from my favorite shop — but as the leaves change color and winter whispers on the wind, my thoughts turn to the soothing goodness of baked apple desserts. The cinnamon that wafts with the sweet apples as the oven warms the kitchen areas of my house is a very real comfort that I seek out often.
I have a difficult time choosing my favorites. Is it the classic apple pie, its crisp crust and warm apples tumbling from between the layers? Perhaps it is apple crisp, so easy to put together and yet entirely satisfying with its crumbled cookie goodness and soft cooked apples hiding underneath. And then there’s the coffee cake, perfect for both morning or evening activities, the apples dotted throughout the light, moist cake.
This cake combines all three: the coffee cake with its apple bits, topped by a layer of warm apples dusted lightly with cinnamon and then topped with a apple pie spiced crumble. Serve it with your weekend brunch, or slice it after dinner. It has a home on both ends of the day.
Apple Pie Crumb Cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 medium apple, peeled and diced
- 2 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
For the topping:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grease the bottoms and sides of a 10-inch cake pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla and eggs, and beat until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture and stir to combine. Slowly stir in the milk and mix until smooth. Add in the diced apple and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan. Arrange the sliced apples over the batter, fanning them out and pressing them lightly into the cake.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining butter, flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom. Mix with a fork until crumbled. Pour the crumbles evenly over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 80 minutes, or until the center of the cake is set and the top is golden brown. Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving. Serve warm, or cool completely and store in an airtight container until ready to eat.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Photo credit: Shaina Olmanson