Common household cleaners can be dangerous for pets. It is important to keep dogs away from cleaners like liquid laundry detergents. Dog owners should be aware of the damage detergent can cause, and to the signs that a dog is experiencing a reaction to the chemicals found in it.
Liquid Laundry Detergent
Liquid laundry detergent overtook powder detergent in popularity in 2001, and its share of the detergent market has grown every year since. Liquid laundry detergents contain water and chemicals classified as surfactants and builders. They can also contain bleaches, enzymes, perfumes and other chemicals, according to American Association of Textile Colorist and Chemists.
If liquid laundry detergent comes in contact with a dog's skin, it can burn the dog. Just like humans, some dogs are sensitive to the chemicals in liquid laundry detergent and can experience an allergic reaction if they come in contact with bedding or towels that have been washed in it.
Symptoms of a chemical burn include reddened skin and, in severe cases, hair loss and blistering. A dog experiencing an allergic reaction to material washed in liquid laundry detergent will develop skin inflammation and red itchy bumps where it touched the material. Its paws could become swollen and itchy, according to "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook."
If a dog has a chemical burn from liquid laundry detergent, flush the affected skin with water for 10 minutes. After, while wearing gloves, bathe the dog with mild soap and plenty of water. If the burn appears severe, call a veterinarian. For an allergic reaction, the best treatment is to stop using the detergent on items the dog will come in contact with.
To protect your dog from injury from liquid laundry detergents, take the precaution of keeping the detergent out of any area the dog can reach. Dog-proof laundry room cabinets with childproof locks, for example. Whenever you change detergents or household cleaners, monitor your dog for adverse reactions to the new cleaning products.