While having a plum tree in your yard might be ideal, it can be a poisonous paradise for your dog. Because plums are easily consumed and have a sweet, pleasing taste, dogs are likely to eat ones fallen from trees in mass quantities. And while it may seem like a nutritious treat, there is a hidden danger in the fruit. Not only can they cause diarrhea, but the pits contained inside can lead to intestinal blockages and even cyanide poisoning. If you have a plum tree, or any other fruit with pits on your property, you will need to ensure your dog stays away.
Causes of Diarrhea from Plums
Since most fruits contain natural sugar, this can lead to diarrhea in your dog. Also, if they consume the peeling of a plum that hasn't been properly cleaned, this can also lead to digestive problems.
While a plum might seem harmless, its pit is extremely poisonous. It's hard to imagine that it contains cyanide in its seeds, stems and leaves. Not only could your dog choke while chewing, but if the pit is swallowed, that poison is being emitted into his system.
Symptoms of Cyanide Poisoning
Signs of cyanide poisoning include difficulty breathing, dilated pupils, heightened salvation, seizures, hyperventilation and shock. If you believe your dog has chewed or ingested a plum pit, you should get them to your veterinarian or emergency vet hospital as soon as possible.
Not only are the pits of plums poisonous, but they can also reek havoc on your dog's digestive system. If your dog consumes a plum pit, it can cause an obstruction of the small intestine.
Symptoms of Digestive Obstructions
Most often, a plum's pit will get caught in the small intestine. This causes gas to accumulate, which will make the intestine swell. The intestinal swelling causes blood supply to be cut off. If the blockage is further to the end of the small intestine, you will find diarrhea. But if it is higher up, the most common symptoms are vomiting, pain in the abdomen, problems with having a bowel movement, loss of appetite, shock and death.