Direct contact with mold, irritants or allergens will cause inflammation of the skin called allergic contact dermatitis. The rash is a delayed allergic reaction that shows up one or two days after exposure to mold. The rash will vary from person to person and within the same person over time. The rash is uncomfortable, but not contagious.
A rash caused by mold will range from slight irritation with redness to an open wound. The skin will be swollen, red, itchy, dry and warm to the touch; or have red bumps, patches, scales or blisters that ooze pus. Only the skin exposed to the mold will be affected. The affected area's intense itch leads to prolonged scratching resulting in secondary infection, pigment or color changes, scaring or thick, and leathery skin. This can be prevented with home care.
Don't scratch. Protect the rash with clothes, by wearing gloves at night and trimming your nails. Wash the area exposed to mold and all exposed clothing immediately. Soothe inflamed and itchy skin with anti-itch creams and wet compresses. Wear cotton cloths, keep air temperature cool and take cool oatmeal baths. Use mild cleansers, free of dyes and perfumes, when bathing and immediately after apply a sensitive moisturizer to damp skin. Do not use antiseptic lotion or rubbing alcohol on the rash.
Clearing Up Skin
Home care and discontinuing exposure to mold will clear up the skin within two to four weeks from the last exposure. If mold is in your home, clean it out and remove its water source. You can control mold growth by controlling the moisture in your home. Some spores will remain in the air and dust, but can't grow without water. If skin doesn't clear with mold removal, then remove other allergens and irritants such as soaps, detergents, make-up, deodorant, rough cloths, latex, perfumes, jewelry or plants.
If home care is unsuccessful and you are uncomfortable, distracted and losing sleep from pain or infection, seek a doctor's care. Your primary care doctor may refer you to a dermatologist or allergist. Be prepared to answer questions such as what symptoms are you having, when they started and how long they last, if intermittent. Your doctor will want to know about the mold, where it is, how long it has been there and if you know what kind it is. Your doctor will perform tests.
To determine if mold is the cause of the rash, your doctor will perform patch testing. A small patch containing an allergen is placed on the skin and removed after two days to check for skin reaction. A skin biopsy will rule out other causes of the rash. Your doctor will prescribe corticosteroid cream in mild to moderate cases. In severe cases oral corticosteroids, antihistamines, or immunosuppressant creams will be prescribed. In all cases, the mold must be removed.
- Photo Credit Image by Flickr.com, courtesy of Sherrie Thai
Black Mold Sickness and Symptoms
Black mold often appears in homes and in buildings as a result of water damage that is untreated. Black mold can be...
Mold & Skin Disorders
The negative effects of mold on human health cover a wide range of symptoms and illnesses. In many cases, the reactions are...
Mold & Eczema
Eczema is a skin rash condition that begins as small, red bumps that can progress into weeping sores all over the body,...