Treatments for Superficial Vein Thrombosis


Superficial vein thrombosis is a blood clot condition typically caused by varicose veins. Because the condition usually is not serious, treatments can be as simple as elevating the leg to wearing compression bandages. However, because the condition can be more severe, see a doctor if you think you may have superficial vein thrombosis, just to make sure you don't need antibiotics or another course of treatment.

Superficial Vein Thrombosis

Superficial vein thrombosis is mainly caused by varicose veins and results in a type of blood clot. According to, "blood stagnates in those venous pools and will clot easily, especially during inactivity. Injecting varicose veins can lead to superficial phlebitis as well." People with this condition typically suffer from inflammation in the affected area, resulting in the skin around the vein to turn red, swell, and possibly hurt.

Leg Elevation

Bed rest is not typically advised for superficial vein thrombosis. Instead, patients are encouraged to be mobile. Walking around and keeping busy may help. When the patient is sitting, leg elevation is suggested so the blood doesn’t pool in the veins during inactivity. Leg elevation can also reduce swelling of the leg and vein.

Compression Stockings

Compression bandages or stockings, coupled with ibuprofen therapy, are often prescribed for those suffering from superficial vein thrombosis. Compression stockings can aid in blood flow as well as reduce pain and swelling. Ibuprofen or aspirin is often recommended to relieve pain and act as an anti-inflammatory.


In unusual cases, an antibiotic may be prescribed. According to, "in the very rare case, antibiotics may be required. If you have a fever and there is redness of the vein, then your physician may prescribe a short course of antibiotics."

Additional Information

Superficial vein thrombosis, which shouldn’t last more than about a month, sometimes is associated with a more severe condition called deep vein thrombosis, a more extensive blood clot. If you feel you may have superficial vein thrombosis, seek help from your doctor or a vein specialist.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!