One definition of learning styles published by American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education takes into account the "cognitive, effective and psychosocial behaviors" that a learner employs to gain new information. While the number of styles varies in some models, most research includes three primary styles -- visual, aural, and kinesthetic. Some theories further divide the visual category into verbal and nonverbal intake. The aural, or auditory, learning style focuses on learning through hearing information.
Teaching the Aural Learner
When designing lessons for an aural learner, the teacher should focus on traditional lecture, group discussions and presentations. Teachers may also engage students in individual discussion to ensure that students comprehend key concepts.
Study Habits for the Aural Learner
If you learn best by listening, you can focus your study habits on listening to information, even if you are speaking the information yourself. Working in groups or with a partner can give you the opportunity to discuss and listen to information. Reading the text and your own notes aloud prior to class can also engage an aural learning style. Other methods of creating opportunities for aural learning include recording lectures and using books on tape.
- Southwestern Community College: VARK Learning Styles: Visual, Auditory, Read/Write, Kinesthetic
- American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education; Learning Styles: A Review of Theory, Application, and Best Practices; Frank Romanelli, PharmD, MPH,corresponding author Eleanora Bird, MS, and Melody Ryan, PharmD, MPH
- Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis; Academic Enrichment; Three Learning Styles
- Illinois Online Network: Instructional Design: Learning Styles and the Online Environment
- Photo Credit Ljupco/iStock/Getty Images
Classroom Strategies for Auditory Processing
Classroom Strategies for Auditory Processing. According to Sandra Ciocci, from the Council for Exceptional Children, ... Auditory Learning Disorders.
The Three Learning Styles
The students in your classroom will have different ways of learning. They may be auditory learners, learning best through listening and thinking...
Definition of Learning Style
People take in and process information in different ways. A learning style is the method a person uses to learn. By knowing...