Required Documents for Applying for an Indian Passport

(Image: Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images)

India issues passports to Indian citizens for international travel or to work abroad. Applications are available online and at more than 33 passport locations throughout the country and 160 Indian Consular Passport and Visa Divisions abroad. Applications are in English and Hindi. You can renew your passport one year before expiration or six months after its expiration. Applying for an Indian passport is relatively easy if you provide all the required documentation.

Passport Application and Photos

Fill out the Indian passport application completely in blue or black ink. Submit six passport-size color photos of your face (3.5-by-3.5 cm). Pictures must be centered and show entire face from top to below the chin. Background should be white or off-white.

Proof of Address

Show proof of your address. Acceptable documents include a utility bill that includes your address, current bank statement, income tax statement, election commission identification card or copy of your spouse’s passport.

Birth Certificate

If you were born on or after Jan. 26, 1989, submit a birth certificate issued by a municipal authority or Office of the Registrar of Births and Deaths.

If you were born before Jan. 26, 1989, submit a birth certificate issued by either above office or a birth certificate obtained from a recognized educational institution or school you last attended.

If you do not have a birth certificate, fill out Form A and have it notarized by a magistrate or notary.

Proof of Citizenship and Government Employee Forms

Submit proof of citizenship. This includes naturalized citizens and registered citizens.

All government employees applying for a passport must include an identity certificate (Form B) and standard affidavit (Form I).

Passport Renewal and Name Change

If you are renewing your passport, include your old passport, proof of any change of address and proof of any change in marital status since your last application. If you changed your name due to marriage, provide a copy of your husband’s passport and a certified copy of the marriage certificate. If divorced, submit a certified copy of the divorce decree and sworn affidavit. For other name changes, male or female, submit a sworn affidavit and two clippings from separate newspapers, one of which must be from the newspaper closest to your address.

Minor Passports

Applications for a minor’s passport must include copies of the parents' passports. If one parent is abroad, then a sworn affidavit from the Indian mission must accompany the application. For an adopted child, submit valid adoption paperwork along with a court order that allows the child to be taken out of the country.

Supplemental Forms

The following supplemental forms must to be included as applicable: Form A--If you do not have a birth certificate. Form must be notarized. Form B--If you are a government employee. Form C--If you are a single parent applying on behalf of a minor child. Form D--If you changed your name since your last passport. Form E--If you divorced since your last passport. Form G--If one parent or a guardian is applying for a minor's passport. Form H--If both parents are applying for a minor's passport. Form I--If you must submit the Standard Affidavit.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

How to Travel For Free With Reward Points

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!