US Passport Age Requirements

US Passport Age Requirements
US Passport Age Requirements (Image: Nathan Borror:

There is no age restriction for U.S. passport holders. However, if the applicant is 16 or 17, or under the age of 16, he or she must follow specific guidelines while applying for the passport.

Minors Under 16

Minors under the age of 16 must complete and submit the U.S. passport application form along with two color passport photos (2-inches-by-2-inches in size) and the applicable fee ($60 plus $25 in processing fees as of September 2009). The form must be submitted in person with both parents or guardians present, and it must be signed in the presence of the authorized application acceptance agent. The minor must have a Social Security number to complete the form.

The application must be submitted along with proof of citizenship, such as a previously issued passport, a certified birth certificate or naturalization certificate.

Parent/Guardian Relationship

The parents/guardians of the under-16 applicant must submit proof of their relationship to the minor. This could be a document such as the minor's certified birth certificate with both parents' names on it, an adoption decree or a court order establishing guardianship.

Valid ID

The parents/guardians must also show an acceptable form of identification, such as a valid passport, naturalization certificate, driver's license or government or military ID. Photocopies of the ID must be submitted with the minor's passport application.

Parental Consent

Both parents/guardians must give their consent to the minor's passport application by signing the form in front of the application acceptance agent. See the link provided in the Resources section for a list of alternatives in case both parents/guardians cannot be present.

Minors 16 and 17

Applicants aged 16 and 17 follow the same application procedures as adults applying for their first passport (see Resources), with several additional requirements.

• He or she must apply in person.

• He or she must present photo identification along with a photocopy of the ID. If the applicant does not have an acceptable photo ID (driver's license, previous passport), a parent or guardian must present a photo ID along with a photocopy.

• He or she must establish parental consent, either by having a parent/guardian sign the application form or by providing written consent from a parent/guardian.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

How to Travel For Free With Reward Points

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!