Uses of Sodium Metabisulfite

Save

Sodium metabisulfite is one of a group of preservatives known as sulfites. It is a food preservative, cosmetic and industrial bleaching agent, and an ingredient in the developing solution for film and photography. Evidence exists that it is also an immune-system toxin. As part of the group of sulfites, sodium metabisulfite can provoke reactions in people, particularly asthmatics, ranging from gastrointestinal discomfort and hives to asthma attacks.

Food Uses

  • Sodium metabisulfite is used as a preservative in foods such as baked goods, jams, wines, dried fruit and many sauces. Sulfites can be added before or after cooking. Fruits and raw vegetables used to be sprayed with sulfites, but this practice was banned by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in 1986. Sodium metabisulfite is also used as an antibacterial agent in wine, although some manufacturers have begun using potassium metabisulfite instead. Some winemakers have claimed that sodium metabisulfite increases the sodium content of wine.

Industrial Uses

  • Sodium metabisulfite exists in both food-grade and non-food-grade forms. The non-food-grade form is an industrial bleaching and reducing agent; it is also used to remove excess chlorine from drinking water and as a photographic developing and fixing bath agent.

Medicinal Use

  • Sodium metabisulfite is an antioxidant additive in injectable medicines and is also used as a reducing agent in pharmaceuticals. Some medical lotions may contain sodium metabisulfite; even in topical preparations, however, sodium metabisulfite may induce allergic or sensitive reactions.

Asthma and Sulfites

  • Reactions to sodium metabisulfite are more common among asthmatics than in the general population and can be mild or severe. According to the World Health Organization's International Programme on Chemical Safety, 25 percent of severe reactions to sulfites involved breathing difficulties, although reactions affected not only respiratory function but skin and gastrointestinal function as well. Hives, swelling and vomiting are all possible reactions.

Cautions

  • Ingesting foods containing sodium metabisulfite can set off reactions if you are sensitive to sulfites. Regulations require manufacturers to list sulfites on ingredient labels. The Cosmetics Database notes that sodium metabisulfite, used in products such as moisturizers, sunscreens, cleansers and hair bleaches, may be toxic to the human immune system and may be a carcinogen.

References

Promoted By Zergnet

Resources

You May Also Like

  • About Bleach Neutralizers

    Most homeowners do not think twice before using bleach on clothing and other articles without realizing its harmful effects. Bleach gives off...

  • How to Make Bleach Neutralizer

    If your household is like most, at least one bottle of bleach sits in your arsenal of cleaning supplies. Bleach sanitizes and...

  • How to Remove Potassium Permanganate

    Potassium permanganate is a chemical solution that is sometimes used to treat odors, the taste of chlorine, and bacteria growth in tap...

  • How to Use a Wine Stabilizer

    Wine is made from fermenting fruit juices through the addition of yeast, which converts the natural sugars into alcohol and emits carbon...

  • Stain Removal & Sodium Bicarbonate

    Sodium bicarbonate, better known as baking soda, is a versatile and inexpensive household product. In addition to a multiplicity of other uses,...

Related Searches

Check It Out

This Is the Beauty Routine of a Yelp Sales Manager

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!