Where to Get Passport Forms


United States citizens have numerous options for finding and completing passport forms. A U.S. Department of State website may prove most convenient for many people, but the agency also operates brick-and-mortar offices that specialize in helping people apply for new and replacement passports. The State Department also authorizes post offices and libraries to act as passport facilities, and U.S. citizens can get help at U.S. embassies and consulates for their passport needs while they are abroad.

State Department Website

  • The State Department maintains a website for anyone needing forms to apply for or renew a passport, called "U.S. Passport Home." The website allows users to fill in forms using an interactive pdf screen or to print out forms and complete them by hand. The U.S. Passport Home also provides in-depth answers to frequently asked questions about applying for a passport and lets visitors report lost or stolen documents.

Passport Offices

  • The State Department operates passport offices throughout the U.S. where people can obtain forms, get pictures taken, and pay fees. Large cities have several passport offices, and people can find their nearest office by using the online passport office locator (see "References" below).

Post Offices

  • Like passport offices, post offices in the U.S. serve as passport application centers. People can get any necessary forms, have their pictures taken and assemble complete application or renewal packets all in a single place. Post offices also appear in the list of nearby passport offices identified through the locator tool.


  • Many community and university libraries can issue passports. You can pick up all passport application and renewal forms there, submit your paperwork and passport photo, and have your application materials reviewed by trained staff to make sure it's complete. The library will forward applications to the State Department for approval.

Embassies and Consulates

  • Americans who live or travel overseas can obtain passport applications from any U.S. embassy or consulate. Staff at the legations can help people identify which forms they need to complete, which can be an especially welcome service for travelers whose passports have been lost or stolen.

Related Searches


  • Photo Credit General Services Administration
Promoted By Zergnet



You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

How to Travel For Free With Reward Points

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!