Signs & Symptoms of Sulfite Allergies

Save

Chemical sulfites are added to some medications, foods and beverages to extend their shelf-life and delay spoilage. Although they are usually considered safe, some cause allergic reactions.

Respiratory Symptoms

A person who is sensitive to sulfites can cough, have breathing difficulties including asthma, a runny nose and sneezing. Asthma patients are more sensitive to sulfites and the response to them can range from manageable to extremely severe.

Abdominal & Stomach Problems

Allergies to sulfites can cause nausea, indigestion, an upset stomach or pain in the abdomen, diarrhea, constipation and vomiting. A sulfite allergy can also make it impossible to digest some foods.

Skin Conditions

Sulfites can cause a skin rash or flushing, itching, swelling or hives. The eyes may also feel itchy or have a burning sensation.

Generalized Symptoms

A person sensitive to sulfites may feel generally unwell, be listless, have a headache or feel dizzy, have a problem with concentration or problems with vision. She also may be depressed.

Anaphylactic Shock

Although sulfite allergy symptoms can be mild to moderate, some people may suffer severe allergic response. The general reaction called anaphylaxis or anaphylactic shock can cause a dangerous drop in blood pressure, extreme breathing problems, and the person may lose consciousness or go into a coma. The condition is life-threatening.

Timing of Symptoms

The reaction to ingesting or inhaling sulfites can occur quickly, often in just minutes after the exposure. In milder cases, the symptoms may take an hour or more to be noticed. Sometimes, however, the body becomes more sensitive and the symptoms will begin to occur sooner or will become worse.

Warning

A person who suffers an allergic reaction should see a physician who can treat the condition or help determine the food or beverage that is causing the reaction. It's better to see the doctor so he can see the allergic reaction. And, seeing emergency personnel is vital if the person suddenly develops a severe problem. When the person has trouble breathing, feels as though the throat is swelling, begins to lose consciousness, with a fast pulse, or goes into shock, call 911 immediately.

Related Searches

References

Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

This Is the Beauty Routine of a Yelp Sales Manager

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!