Staph infection, also called MRSA or Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus, has many forms and has the ability of affecting many parts of the body. It is usually caused by a bacterium called “Staphylococcus Aureus” and rarely from S. epidermidis or a staphylococcal species. Staph is an inflammation of skin or internal organs. It may be mild to life-threatening, depending on the case. It effects skin, mucus membranes, urinary functions, and bones. It also causes a form of sepsis, which is a blood inflammation which can be caused by the staph entering the blood with a prior infection. Though it is associated with the skin, it can also affect the mouth.
Humans have three pairs of salivary glands. They open through ducts into the mouth, supplying it with saliva. The parotid gland is the largest of the three. When Staph bacteria inflames the parotid gland, a salivary gland located under the ear, it is called Bacterial Parotitis. This is a rare form of staph and should not be confused with viral parotitis which occurs in children.
Bacterial Parotitis Symptoms
The symptoms of Bacterial Parotitis include a painful swelling below the ear on one side, trismus or painful opening of the mouth, painful and trouble with swallowing called dysphagia, discharge of pus into the mouth, and a high fever with chills.
Bacterial Epiglottitis occurs when the mucus coating the epiglottis is damaged, making a burn, cut or injury in which staph may grow. The epiglottitis has an important role— it is a piece of cartilage of the back of the tongue that prevents swallowed food from traveling down into the larynx. Injury of the mucus-coated epiglottitis may cause serious, life-threatening staph if the patient is unable to swallow correctly and cannot get proper nutrients from food. Bacterial Epiglottitis usually occurs in children but can effect adults.
Bacterial Epiglottitis Symptoms
Symptoms of Bacterial Epiglottitis include sharp pains in the throat, painful swallowing, excessive salivation, trouble breathing, and the accompaniment of a high fever.
Staph can be transmitted through contact with an infected person, through food preparation or sharing, contaminated surfaces, sex, and items shared between an infected and healthy person. Know the signs and symptoms and keep yourself safe.